Register Free Valuation Menu Property Search

Get an instant online valuation in 60 seconds here

Instant Online Valuation

Get ready for changes to Capital Gains Tax for UK Property Sales

Get ready for changes to Capital Gains Tax for UK Property Sales

The deadlines for paying Capital Gains Tax after selling a residential property in the UK are changing from 6 April 2020 - understand the changes and what you need to do.

From 6 April 2020, if you're a UK resident and sell a residential property in the UK you'll have 30 days to tell HMRC and pay any Capital Gains Tax owed. If you don't tell HMRC about any Capital Gains Tax within 30 days of completion, you may be sent a penalty as well as having to pay interest on what you owe - so it's really important that everyone involved in the sale of a residential property fully understands these changes.

When you need to report Capital Gains Tax within 30 days: You may need to make a Capital gains Tax report and make a payment when, for example, you sell or otherwise dispose of:

A property that you've not used as your main home

A holiday home

A property which you let out for people to live in

A property that you've inherited and have not used as your main home

But you won't have to make a report and make a payment when: A legally binding contract for the sale was made before 6 April 2020

You meet the criteria for Private Residence Relief

The sale was made to a spouse or civil partner

The gains (including any other chargeable residential property gains in the same tax year) are within your tax free allowance (called the Annual Exempt Amount)

You sold the property for a loss

The property is outside the UK

If you're a non-UK resident you must continue to report sales or disposals of interests in UK property or land, regardless of whether there is a Capital Gains Tax liability within 30 days of completion of the disposal. You will no longer be able to defer payment of Capital Gains Tax via your Self Assessment return, and any tax owed must be paid within the 30-day reporting and payment period. This includes disposals of residential properties, non-residential properties and indirect disposals. From 6 April 2020 non-UK residents will be able to use the new online service, which will replace the current reporting service

Please feel free to call us on 0207 275 8000 or email us at to find out more about Capital Tax gains and how you may be affected.


Find your next property